Light and Lemony Melt in Your Mouth Lemon Meringue Drops. A nice summery dessert, that is impressive, but totally easy to make.
(This post may contain an affiliate link or two for your convenience)
I love meringue. Let there be no doubting me here. It’s often the perfect sweet, bot not too sweet treat, and the melt in your mouth texture is. to. die. for.
Nothing beats the meringue on a homemade lemon pie, that’s for sure – but these lemony meringue drops are also really, really good. Oh, and did I mention, crazy easy?
To make a good meringue, you can not under beat it. An electric mixer really is the best option, I am so in love with my KitchenAid Stand Mixer if you’re in the market for one. I have honestly never tried making meringue with a Rotary Egg Beater so I can’t tell you if it would work or not – but I have my doubts. The key to good meringue is not under beating it, I think a hand beater would fall short.
Lemon Meringue Drops
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- yellow food colouring
- Heat oven to 275 F
- Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in electric mixer until frothy
- Add in sugar, a bit at a time, while mixing on high
- Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Beat in lemon extract and food colouring
- Attach a large star tip to piping bag and fill with batter
- Hold the tip of the bag against the cookie sheet at a 90 degree angle, and squeeze out a small mound of meringue and slowly ease the pressure as you pull the bag up, so it makes a nice peak on top
- Bake 33 - 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Love This Recipe?