Homemade Ice Cream with Easter Candy
Homemade ice cream is pretty awesome, right? Throw in some Easter candy and you’ve got a little treat perfect for springtime celebrations!
Homemade Ice Cream
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You’ll need an ice cream maker for this one – and I have been very happy with using the Ice Cream Maker attachment for our Stand Mixer for all of the ice cream we make here, and I feel pretty good about recommending it to you if you’re in the market. Keep your ice cream maker stored in the freezer if you have the space – otherwise, be sure to freeze it before using it to make ice cream.
For this recipe, I used a cup and a half of those wonderful little pastel coloured M&M candies you see all over the stores this time of year – and it has turned out so well! A super tasty vanilla ice cream with just the right amount of chocolate candy goodness.
- 2 1/2 cups 10% cream
- 8 egg yolks ( save the whites for Angel Food Cake!)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups 35% cream
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups M&M candies – we used the pastel coloured Easter variety
- Cook the 10% cream on the stove top until it’s hot. Not boiling, but hot.
- Whip the yolks and sugar until blended, and gradually stir in the hot 10% cream, and continue to mix until blended.
- Transfer the yolk mixture back to a medium sauce pan, and again cook until hot. Cook until it is steaming, and small bubbles start to form, but do not boil. Stir continuously and prevent scorching.
- Add in the 35% cream, the vanilla extract and the salt, and chill for 8 hours ( or overnight)
- Following the directions on your ice cream maker, add your ice cream to the ice cream maker and let mix for about 18 minutes – add the M&M candies and mix 2 minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy, and be sure to freeze the remaining ice cream!
See it on Think Tank Thursday !