So, the other day I had an idea, a wonderfully awful idea! Let me explain…
See, you may have noticed my fasciation with wreaths by now? Well, what you may not know is that I actually have an even more fierce, let’s call it obsession, with ice lanterns. Not terribly original, granted. But I am obsessed with making them better every year. I want more, faster. I want to streamline the production and have the fabricating and displaying down to a scientific art!
I made beautifully large ones one year with mop pails and yogurt containers. They turned out really well, and I will replicate them of course.. I’ll switch it up a bit and keep trying different ways, cause it’s a quirk.
Anyhow, the wonderful part of my idea was juice cartons! What a great way to reuse those paper cartons, right? The awful part – I had to dig through the rubbish bin to get them.
Elegant DIY Ice Lanterns
What’s really great about these is that you can re-use a bunch of stuff before it’s destined for the recycling / trash.
- Juice cartons
- Small applesauce / snack container
- Masking tape
- Freezer or freezing temperatures outdoors
- Cut the top off the carton, about an inch down from the ‘roof’
- Fill the carton with water
- Place the small snack cup on top, with the top of the cup level with the top of the carton. Water will be displaced
- Use masking tape to secure the container in the water, centered
- Freeze thouroughly
- Remove snack cup and remove lantern from carton.
- Place a tea light candle into the indentation made by the snack cup, place outdoors, light and enjoy!
Welcome your guests this holiday season with a beautifully lighted path. They don’t need to know you were rummaging through the trash before hand. Happy Holiday Season