Re-use brown paper lunch bags, recycle flyers, and use up paper scraps all at the same time with this very fun, and super cute scarecrow craft.
Green Crafty & Creative
We featured this eco-friendly craft in our book, Green Crafty & Creative. You can get your copy here in e-book, paperback and Kindle formats, starting for as low as $4.99.
Lunch Bag Scarecrow
We have made these a few times, and each occasion has been just as fun and successful. Plus, as we get a bit older here, we are getting a real handle on things like, where the noses go. We have made them with braided construction paper strips for the hatbands, and have used recycled florists’ cellophane for extra pretty hats too. The shaggy scarecrow hair though, I must say, is my favourite part.
- Used Paper bag (the wrinkle-ier the better!)
- Construction paper and previously used wrapping paper work really well (from the scrap bin if you’ve got one!)
- Newspaper / packing paper / stuffing of some sort
- Cut the top of the paper bag into strips, but do not cut the strips off of the bag
- Fill the paper bag with newspaper / packing paper / anything really that you have laying around, and close the bag, just under the hairline and staple closed. Flatten the hair down, and curl the front hair up with scissors if you desired.
- Cut a large circle out of construction paper (tissue paper/ coffee filter / wrapping paper/ etc) and some shapes for facial features, and hat embellishments, if desired.
- Take the hat piece and find its centre, and shape it into a cone, staple the tip of the cone to the centre of the scarecrows hair, at the top of the closed bag.
- Now glue the facial features on, and add some decorations to the hat. Make a construction paper braid for a hat band or embellish with more construction paper decorations, such as shredded paper for straw, straws and moons, and maybe even a crow.
Get Green, Crafty & Creative for Earth Day
If you enjoyed this post, you will love our book, Green, Crafty & Creative
. Featuring 70 family and environmentally-friendly tips, crafts and activities from 10 different contributors, it is full of awesome inspiration for Earth Day fun. Green, Crafty & Creative
is available for purchase in e-book
formats, starting for as low as $4.99.